2 medium beets, roasted, peeled and rough chopped*
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate squares or chocolate chips (1 1/3 cup)
2 Cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour [can substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour]
pinch of salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter and 8 ounces of chocolate in a double-boiler [or a large stainless steel bowl set over a pan filled with 1-inch of simmering water] over low heat, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place roasted beets and sugar together in food processor and puree. Add eggs and vanilla; blend well. Add the beet puree to the melted chocolate and then stir in the flour, salt, and chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 mins. or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out with dry crumbs, not wet batter. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cut when cool. Store in airtight container.
*To roast beets: Wash beets and trim off tops. Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil. Place on a sheet pan and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 45-50 minutes until beets are tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool completely. Use a paring knife to peel the skin from the beets.
Yield: Makes 24 brownies