12 oz. box whole wheat penne pasta
Kosher salt to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
15 oz. can pure pumpkin puree
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Reserve 2 cups pasta water; drain and set aside.
- In pasta pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add rosemary and fry, stirring constantly, until the herb is just starting to brown; 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer rosemary to a paper towel, leaving oil in pot.
- Carefully add pumpkin puree, garlic, half-and-half, parmesan cheese, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and 1 cup reserved pasta water to pot. Stir until heated through; 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add pasta to sauce and toss to coat. Season generously with salt. If sauce is too thick, gradually add reserved pasta water until desired thickness is reached.
- Serve pasta with fried rosemary and additional red pepper flakes if desired.
Chef's note: Frying the rosemary in olive oil not only turns the herb into a crispy garnish, it infuses the oil to create a delicious base for the sauce!
Yield: 4 servings