1 medium bell pepper
1 small red onion
2 (15 ½ ounce) cans black-eyed peas
1 (15 ¼ ounce) can corn kernels, no salt added
3 Tablespoons canola oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Optional ingredient: ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Rinse and dice bell pepper, removing core and seeds. Peel rinse, and dice onions. If using, rinse and chop cilantro leaves.
- In a colander, grain and rinse black-eyed peas and corn.
- In a large bowl, add pepper, onion, peas, corn, cilantro if using, and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Use any type of vinegar you have on hand. Try balsamic, cider, or red or white wine vinegar.
- Use black beans in place of black-eyed peas if you like.
- If using dried black-eyed peas, cook according to package directions until peas are soft but not mushy. Drain, rinse and add 3 cups cooked peas to salad.
Yield: 10 (¾ cup) servings