- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of cinnamon
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 pound of leafy greens, such as kale or chard, torn into medium pieces
- 1 pound barley, cooked according to package directions
- 2 pounds fall squash, such as butternut, diced and cooked*
- ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves, de-stemmed
- salt, to taste
- Saute the onion, garlic and cinnamon in the oil until soft. Add the greens and cook until wilted.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cook until heated through.
*Chef’s note: To cook the butternut squash, peel it and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into ½ inch cubes and bake in a 425-degree oven for about 30 minutes, checking periodically to toss the cubes. The squash is cooked when it can be easily pierced with a fork.
Yield: 8 side portions