- 2 medium beets, roasted, peeled and roughly chopped*
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate squares or chocolate chips (about 1 1/3 cup)
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter and 8 ounces of chocolate in a double-boiler (or a large bowl over a pan of simmering water), stirring constantly. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place roasted beets and sugar in a food processor to puree. Add eggs and vanilla and blend well. Combine the chocolate and beet puree. Stir in the flour, salt and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container.
*Chef’s note: To roast the beets: wash and trim off tops, wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil. Bake in a 425-degree oven for 45-50 minutes until beets are tender.
Yield: 24 brownies