Yield: 8 servings
1½ pounds seasonal vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, turnips, or bell peppers
2 medium onions
4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
12 medium eggs
1 teaspoon dried dill, thyme, or oregano
Non-stick cooking spray
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
8 ounces mushrooms
¼ cup fresh parsley, thyme, or basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Rinse and cut seasonal veggies evenly into small pieces. Peel, rinse, and dice onions. If using, slice mushrooms and rinse and chop fresh herbs.
3. Grate cheddar cheese.
4. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add seasonal veggies to boiling water. Briefly boil, about 30 seconds. Using a colander, drain the veggies.
5. In a large bowl, whip eggs with a fork until well blended. Whisk in dried herbs. Set aside.
6. Coat medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. If using mushrooms, add now. Add boiled seasonal veggies. Continue cooking until soft and some of their juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
7. Coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Layer ingredients in the baking dish in the following order: veggie mixture, egg mixture, cheese, salt, and pepper.
9. Bake until eggs are firm and cheese is melted, about 35 minutes. A thermometer inserted in the middle should read 160°F.
10. If using, garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
11. Cut into 8 equal-size portions.