Jobs & Internships
There are currently no paid positions open, but will post job openings as they come available.
Unless otherwise noted, you may apply by sending a cover letter and resume to Michelle Moskowitz-Brown, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 731 E. Broad St, 3rd Floor, Col, OH 43205. Local Matters is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This part-time position will work with the Local Matters’ Communications and Marketing Manager. The overall goal of the Development and Marketing team is to grow financial and support for Local social Matters programs and to build awareness and support for the variety of issues related to food, health and the economy.
The goal of the Marketing Internship is to apply learned marketing and communications knowledge to real-world situations and to gain the skills and experience central to nonprofit marketing/ design.
The intern will assist with multiple aspects of nonprofit public relations and marketing work. This is an excellent opportunity to build a client-based portfolio and gain practical experience while working in an active, upbeat non-profit. Intern may work some hours outside of the office, and must be responsive and meet regularly with staff.
We are looking for interns who meet the following criteria:
- Experience with, or persuing a degree in: Marketing, PR, Nonprofit management, Journalism/Media/Communications, Environmental Studies, or Agricultural Studies.
- Passionate about local food and/or the food system
- Self-motivated, creative, flexible, positive attitude
- Strong writing and research skills
- Basic familiarity with social media
- Familiarity with basic desktop publishing and website management skills Knowledge of and access to Adobe Creative Suite or similar program
- Must show a portfolio of previous applicable graphic design work
- Ability to incorporate suggestions and to meet deadlines
- Familiarity with both print and web-based applications
- Track Local Matters events and relevant community events for website calendar
- Write blog posts about food-related issues (often involves research)
- Work with other members in Development and Marketing department on fundraising and media campaigns
- Visit and document/photograph/film Local Matters programs
- Generate posts for Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Concept to print/distribution process including design, layout, photo editing, copy-editing and research of printing and distribution methods
- Designing promotional materials for events
We expect you to bring your own equipment and software.
You must commit to a minimum of 1 semester. This is an unpaid internship. Hours are flexible.
To apply please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Local Matters is a not-for-profit based in Central Ohio whose mission is to transform the food system to be more secure, prosperous, just and delicious! We do this by teaching kids and families about healthy Ohio-grown foods, by increasing access to wholesome, delicious food and by advocating for fair food policies.
Food Matters is a comprehensive food and food ecology curriculum that utilizes a 45 minute weekly teaching session to provide children with an understanding of what healthful food is, how to prepare it, where it comes from and how it grows. It covers the fundamentals of food preparation, ecology of food, safety and hygiene; the USDA Food Plate; and the taste, aesthetics and nutritive value of plant-based meals. Children help prepare healthy, whole food recipes during our Food Matters lessons.
- Assist in teaching children the life skills of basic food preparation through hands-on interactive experiences
- Help educate children about healthful, whole foods through activities that frame the relationship between the food they eat and the health of their bodies
- Encourage children to eat healthy foods and use positive language to describe foods
- Invite families and communities to learn about healthful foods and chronic disease prevention by participating in classroom lessons, school meals, gardens, and collaborative art projects related to food.
The ideal candidate will be friendly and positive, enjoy working with children, be comfortable working with diversity, possess strong communication skills, and have some familiarity and comfort with food preparation.
Any Humanities majors, especially Education, Nutrition, and/or Ecology
This application is for an unpaid internship. Hours are flexible. Ages of children in our schools range from 3-9yrs old, and our program is 26 weeks long.
To Apply For this Internship:
Application deadline May 1st, 2013. Please send resume to Tori Strickland at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, you may contact Tori at: 614-381-8505