1 15 oz can (1 ¾ cups) pumpkin puree
½ cup vegetable or another neutral cooking oil
3 large eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon fine sea or table salt
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Heaped ¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
Heaped ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Two pinches of ground cloves
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat muffin tin with nonstick spray or insert muffin wrappers.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs, and sugar until smooth. Sprinkle baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves over batter and whisk until well-combined. Add flour and stir with a spoon, just until mixed. Spoon batter into tin and smooth the tops.
3. In a small dish, or empty measuring cup, stir sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle over top of batter.
4. Bake muffins for 25 to 30 minutes until a tester comes out batter-free.
5. Allow the muffins to cool. The latter provides the advantage of letting more of the loose cinnamon sugar on top adhere before being knocked off.
Recipe adapted from a pumpkin bread recipe found on SmittenKitchen.com.