Yield: 8 servings
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes (no salt added), undrained
2 cans (15 ounces each) of black beans, drained & rinsed
2 dashes Tabasco sauce or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced fine
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 green onions, sliced
¼ bunch fresh cilantro, minced
Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan.
2. Add onions and sauté until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and spices and sauté 1 minute more.
3. Add tomatoes, black beans, and Tabasco sauce or jalapeno pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve over a bed of rice and top with garnishes of your choice.
Ingredients for Cilantro Lime Rice:
2 C. long grain brown rice
4 C. water
Pinch of salt
½ bunch cilantro, minced
Juice of 1 fresh lime
1. Place rice, water and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low & simmer for 45-50 minutes until liquid has been absorbed.
2. Remove from heat & let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer rice to a large bowl & stir in minced cilantro and lime juice.