Yield: 8 servings
2 pkgs. (14 oz. each) extra firm tofu, drained
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
¼ C. low-sodium soy sauce
¼ Cup brown sugar
2 Cups tomato sauce
Kosher salt to taste
8 whole wheat hamburger buns
1. Placed drained tofu between layers of paper towels. Set tofu on a large plate or dish, then place a cutting board on top of the tofu and set canned goods (or other heavy item) on top of the cutting board to press the excess moisture out of the tofu. Set aside to drain for 20 minutes while prepping remaining ingredients.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add drained tofu. Use the back of a spoon to break the tofu down into crumbles. Cook tofu, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and firmed up. Transfer tofu to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add 1 more Tbsp. olive oil to pan. Add onion and green pepper and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
4. Add tofu back to pan, along with spices, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cook 3-4 minutes until caramelized. Add tomato sauce, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Season to taste with salt.
5. Serve hot over whole wheat hamburger buns.