2 cups mixed raw (untoasted & unroasted) nuts: any combination of cashews, whole almonds, peanuts, pecan halves, or hazelnuts
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. flaky sea salt or kosher salt
2 cups small pretzel twists
1 cup of sesame sticks
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of other dried fruit, such as cranberries and/or diced dried apricots
- Spread the nuts in an even layer on a baking sheet and toast in a 350F degree oven for 10 minutes, stirring once for even toasting.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium-size microwave-safe mixing bowl. Then add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and maple syrup and stir well to combine.
- Add the toasted nuts into the mixing bowl of spices and stir until coated. Then mix in the salt, pretzels, sesame sticks, and dried fruits. Stir well to combine.
- Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil to prevent sticking. Spread the mixture back out in an even layer on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 12-18 minutes, stirring twice during cooking. Remove from oven and cool completely, separating the nuts and pretzels as they cool.
- Once cool, this mixture can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Note: the salt is added after the nuts are stirred so it doesn’t dissolve. Be sure to use coarse salt, which has an appealing, crunchy texture and more delicate flavor than ordinary table salt.
Yield: approximately 7 cups